The ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated – Tau Delta Zeta Chapter are women committed to excellence in all areas of life. We strive tirelessly to exemplify the ideals of Scholarship, Service, Sisterly Love and Finer Womanhood, as held by our illustrious Sorority. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated – Tau Delta Zeta Chapter created the essay contest in 2008 to encourage high scholarly achievement through writing and creative expression among college-bound young women. Through the Power of the Written Word Scholarship Essay Contest, we challenge young women to define the noble and unique ideal of Finer Womanhood in relation to the examples of phenomenal women in their own lives and the women they aspire to be.
An eligible applicant is considered someone who meets the following requirements:
- A high school female senior student
- A resident of Prince George’s County, MD
- Accepted into an accredited four-year college or university
- Has an overall grade point average of 2.5 (C+) or greater.
- Has not received any other scholarship from Tau Delta Zeta Chapter
- Motivated to achieve their educational and career goals
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION
The Power of the Written Word Scholarship does not discriminate in its selection policy on the basis of race, color, creed, disability, national/ethnic origin, religion or sexual orientation.
The Power of the Written Word Scholarship Essay Contest is offered annually in the fall. This is a one-time scholarship.
The 2017 application submission season is now closed.